Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Lawn Is Going To Be the Death of Me

On Tuesday morning E and I went to the DMV to get a temporary permit for the Civic because the 30-day tag had expired. On the way home, I said, "You need to mow the lawn today." He said, "I know." So I left it at that.

On Wednesday morning we had to drive to near my work to get the car inspected. As we walked out the door I saw that the lawn was not mowed. (Can't tell when I get home after dark. We live out in the sticks, ya know.) I said, "E, I swear to God you are not going to get another dime for gas if you don't get the yard mowed!" He said, "But I trimmed..." And I shot back, "I didn't ask you to trim. I asked you to mow." And then he completely shocked me by doing something I haven't seen from him in a very long time... contrition. "I'm sorry." he said as he hung his head. So I just decided to shut up because I wasn't going to get a better answer than that.

Today, I walked out the door and the lawn still wasn't mowed. I walked back in & marched back to E's bedroom. He locks his door at night, which irks me, so I have to knock. Finally a sleepy, "Whaaat?" Trying not to yell, in the sweetest tone I can muster "Let me in, please." I hear him stumbling toward the door. "I need the key to the Civic." Blah, blah, blah, just woke up, blah, blah, can't find my keys, etc. I just stood there. "I need it now, please."

He must have known what was coming, because as he's taking the key off his ring he's saying how he'd planned on turning in those applications today. I didn't respond. When he gave me the key, I just put it in my pocket and said, "You'll get this back after you mow." And I started walking out of the room. "I planned to do that today." he yelled after me. "I asked you to do it yesterday." I yelled back. [angry smiley]

I'm already worn out plotting "the talk" that has to happen tonight.

No comments: