Monday, November 3, 2008

E Gets Blackmailed

Over the weekend I sent an email to E's grandparents telling them long, sad story of E's legal name.

I added E to my pre-paid legal service that I have through my work. I called to ask them about E changing his last name, but because he's over 18 they wouldn't talk to me about it. The lady said, "Is there some reason why he can't call for himself?"

Yes, because he's 19 and doesn't know anything.

So I could only ask about the process. Fine. Whatever. I really just wanted to know how much it was going to cost. (About $500, in case you were wondering.) But I also have to keep him on the plan at $17/mo.

But I decided I wasn't going to pay for that. I'm not vested in his paternal side of the family at all. If they want him to have their last name, they can pay for it. I've gone above and beyond just putting him on my plan.

So in the email I told them how much it would cost. If they couldn't pay for it, that's fine, but I'd like to know so I could take him off the plan.

Sunday, J (E & S's dad) called. He said he'd give me a credit card over the phone and to go ahead and set things up. I asked if he wanted to talk to E and he said he'd call him later.

He did call E later. They talked for quite a while. He (J) talked so loudly that I could hear some words, but I couldn't make out everything. But I distinctly heard something about "not letting that side of the family know."

So I asked E when he got off the phone, "What was all that about?"
EChanging my name.
MeReally? Because you were on there for a long time.
EYeah. (Long pause -- I guess deciding if he was going to tell me or not.) He says he won't pay for it unless I stay in KS.
MeReally!?
EYeah. (laughs) But he didn't say how long I had to stay in KS.

I have to admit, I was jealous for a second, because it seemed like a good idea and I admonished myself for not thinking of it.

But then, when I saw it wasn't going to work, I thought, "Well, there you go. It was a stupid idea. That's why I didn't think of it."

But we're not supposed to know about it, so shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Don't tell anyone!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, unless you accidentally send another e-mail letting J know that he may want to put some time on there. The longer he stays the harder it will be for him to go back. Oh, and here I go again but why can his mother just tell him NO! Is he planning on going to school in Jan. or what?

What_Was_I_Thinking said...

No. He's not planning on going to school because he suddenly doesn't want to be a mechanic. I am making it as difficult on him as possible to get back, but he's still pretty determined. Personally, I think he's experiencing compassion for the first time in his life and he doesn't know what to do about it except go down there so he can "help."

Anonymous said...

and unfortunately he doesn't see how school and then good job would also help. If the two of us can't figure it out can't expect him to. I REALLY wish CR would step up and tell him NO, you aren't coming home, and tell S she IS going to KS. I'm the mother and that's why is the best reason ever.. I wish she would try it. At least you have multiple people to share your amazment and confusion!

What_Was_I_Thinking said...

Of course he doesn't see it. He's 19 and feels that the universe has bestowed all its answers unto him.

Re: CR
We can wish in one hand and spit in the other and see which one fills up faster!

I can't tell you what a help its been to type all this out... knowing that you all are out there cheering me on and hoping for the best.