Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Party's Over

Monday night I was at Walmart when S called me.

There was lots of people around, plus I was on my headset so I couldn't hear every single word that she was saying. But instead of saying, "Huh?" every few seconds I was just doing that thing where you say "uh-huh" every once in a while to acknowledge the other party is talking, only half-listening to what they're saying.

I was in the milk section when I heard, "blah, blah, blah, keeping it."

MeUh-h... wait. What did you say?
S[garbled] [static] [talking too softly]
MeKeeping what?
SThat thing I have in my stomach!
MeYou're keeping the baby?!
SYeah.
MeWhen did you decide this?
SDS and I talked about it today.
MeI thought DS didn't want to keep it either.
SWell, he just didn't want his dad to be around it. Now that we're moving in with his mom it'll be ok.
MeOh, S. Please don't do this. You know you don't want to keep it.
S(crickets...)


I fucking KNEW this was going to happen!

Apparently DS has some relative who's "rich" and every question I asked was answered with this rich aunt he has.

Yeah, she's ready to have a baby like I'm ready to be in a swimsuit competition. She can't even SAY baby!

That THING I have in my stomach

Seriously!!!

So I'm wandering dazed through the isles and my phone calls C. (It has a mind of its own sometimes.) I had my headset on and all of a sudden I heard the dingle in my ear. I answered it, surprised.

CYou sound funny.
MeI'm just surprised. My phone called you, I didn't.
CWell it would have been nice if you had called me.
MeSorry. I'm still in shock.
CWhy?
MeS is keeping the baby.

C was not happy about the news. I related the conversation I'd had with S to her. She asked a lot of rhetorical questions. Then she ended with, "Well, I'm going to go yell at her... unless you forbid me."

She's so funny.

Both C and CR yelled at her. Not that it did any good.

The bad thing is that I found this news out at Walmart. Before I knew it my cart was filled with Oreos, Little Debbies and icecream.

Later, I remembered the few minutes of guilty pleasure I'd allowed myself when I was looking at cribs online. I guess my suit of detachment-armor wasn't so strong afterall.

Dammitdammitdammit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, CR does have one good point that numerous plans have been made and fallen through. Guess that is the hope to hold on to. I still think that CR needs to grow a pair and get S out of TX ASAP. How do you let a 17 year old tell you she is going to move out and she is going to .......? Did she learn nothing all these years?

What_Was_I_Thinking said...

Um, apparently not.