Monday, October 13, 2008

Aaaaand another step back, no, wait, FORWARD!

At least 3 blog-able things have happened recently, but I've been so extraordinarily busy at work I just haven't had time to type them out. So I'm going to make a concerted effort to get you all caught up... before it becomes 4 things.

To continue on with my previous post of E taking things... One morning I had promised I'd leave money out for E to go run an errand for me. But of course, I'd forgotten by the time morning rolled around. Luckily E had gotten up before I left that day and reminded me. So I went to my bedroom and went to my dollar-bill hiding place, not to be confused with my state-quarter hiding place, and ... IT WAS EMPTY!

Oh, I was furious. I came flying out of the room, got in his faced and yelled stated emphatically, "My money is gone!"

Wide-eyed he looked at me and almost whispered, "I didn't take it."

Still emphatic, "REALLY?"

Unfortunately, all this happened right before I was supposed to walk out the door, so we didn't have time to finish the "discussion."

I was pissed all day. Dammit. There was almost $100 missing. Dammit.

I was still pissed when I walked in the door that night. He was laying on the floor in the living room watching TV. I said, "Is there anything you want to tell me before I tear my room apart looking for that money?"

"I didn't do anything wrong," he said.

I don't think the FBI could have done a better search of my room. And guess what? I found the damn money. As soon as I found it I sorta remembered having that argument with myself about whether or not to move it... and I apparently decided to move it. Also? It was much closer to $50 than $100.

Yumyumyum, yummy crow...

I sucked it up and admitted that I'd accused him when I shouldn't have and I apologized profusely. Then I decided to use that whole situation, even my accusal of him to talk about the real world implications. "So lets say you see a shiny new tool laying on the garage floor, and you think that would be a cool tool to have in your toolbox..." and how giving into that temptation could lead to loss of job, friends, freedom. It was a good talk ... for both of us.

As a reward for this new-found trust, I placed an "emergency $10" under the dish holding the state quarters. I told him about it and just asked that he talk to me before using it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I would say all in all it was probably a good thing to happen. Both of you have some things to learn and no one died while in the process. To me, that is a success and probably something that E will remember better for the next time. Just remember how much better he's gotten since he got there and what a difference you are making for him!

What_Was_I_Thinking said...

Today was the first test of the "emergency $10". He called to ask permission, just as I'd requested, and even elected to only spend $5 instead of the full $10.

I think the point was made and, like you said, it was probably a good thing to happen.