Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Cat Is Out of the Bag

When CR and I talked on Saturday, we eventually got around to discussing Big D's sister, who recently announced she's pregnant.

Blah, blah, blah, pregnant... blah, blah, blah, babies...

So I figured, this is a good a time as any...

MeSo ... I need to talk to you about S.
CROk.
MeWell, she's decided to give the baby up for adoption.
CRI kinda figured. She hasn't mentioned it in a while, so I thought she'd changed her mind. How did you find out?
MeI'd heard she was thinking about it so I just asked her.
CR(silence)
MeAnd I was thinking I would adopt the baby.
CRWe'd thought about asking you early on, but then it seemed like she changed her mind and we didn't want to get your hopes up.

By "we" she meant herself and DR. I guess its nice that everyone was thinking of me, but do these people not realize that something like this takes time?? Oh, and she had already talked to mom about it! (But mother failed to mention that to me because she was, "trying to stay neutral")

She took it much better than I'd anticipated. Kind of sad, and yet resigned. JL thinks that she is [finally!] coming to the conclusion that she just can't bring another kid into her < insert adjective here > life. In retrospect, my timing was excellent with E being back there and eating them out of house and home for a week.

I called mom to tell her that CR knew and she didn't have to worry about keeping the secret anymore. And she was like, "Did you tell her that **I** didn't tell you?" I told her I'd try to work that in the next conversation I had with CR.

"Well, why wouldn't you be able to work that in?" You're killing me, mother, stick the knife in, jab it, twist it, make-a-figure-eight-with-it killing me.

I responded, "Well, let's say she calls to talk about E. She says, 'So, how's E?' Am I supposed to respond with, 'BTW, Mom didn't tell me anything.' Seems a little out of place don't you think?"

Later CR texted me:

Mom should be happy that this would only make her a grandma again instead of a great grandma.

And then again:

I know I said I wanted to be an aunt from my side of the family but this wasn't exactly how I thought it would happen.


I still haven't heard from S. I know, it was too much to think she might take some responsibility on her own. Oddly, CR and I were on the same page again here: we both thought she needs to move to KS to have the baby and facilitate the adoption.

Someone check the temperature in hell... It must be getting chilly with CR and I agreeing twice in one weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, I thought S was being responsible... somehow I think CR is being selfish in this. As long as the baby is well cared for ( by you) then I guess how he got there doesn't really matter. My guess would be a little more cynical.. when you have less responsibility it is hard to go back to doing it all again. If E is gone and then S follows, minus baby and baby daddy... wow, CR's life really got a lot easier and then if no one is happy she can blame it all on you. You may need a lot more tylenol in the near future!! Just trade in one headache for a different one! Story of your life, I know. Hang in there.