Tuesday, August 12, 2008

They broke up again

Texting with S today, I repeated the rumor I'd heard from E yesterday: that they were broke up again.

SYeah. I don't know what his deal is.
MeR u still planning on coming to KS over labor day even if he can't come?
SYeah maybe it'll make him happy. He told me to go.
MeAbsence makes the heart grow fonder...
SYeah sure. He said he has to work all the time anyways so I wouldn't ever see him.

Yes, I know they've broken up before. But it seems like they get back together for shorter and shorter times. Fine by me. I wasn't anxious about trying to reel him in. (S says his problems have gotten worse over the summer.) Frankly, I think I'm going to have my hands full with S.

Talking to my mom on the phone today and she admitted for the first time that E has really made progress this summer. She also expressed concern about him back-sliding when/if S moves in. I share those concerns too, I just don't know what to do about them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ya, that's tough. I deal with something similiar each day! Hopefully, with all the progress E has made and known that she will get there sometime, he's ready. He's shown he can use his skills on others, even ones that have made him mad. I'd have a heart to heart with him, let him you know everyone has seen the changes in him and what he thinks it will be like when S gets there. I have a feeling it will be a 2 against 1 head butting match for a while. And, she isn't there yet... one day at a time. I know E going to your mom's was out of the question... what about S? I'm already laughing but thought I'd put it out there

What_Was_I_Thinking said...

From time to time E mentions her coming, and I remind him, as well as myself, that she's not here yet. I'm trying to relish in the subtle changes he's made. Like, he's started saying, "thank you" on a pretty regular basis. I haven't said a word to him about that, but that's something that I try to do myself, no matter how menial the task. So, that's nice to see that emulated. The optimist in me hopes that S will start to emulate the good stuff too. A couple years ago, over Christmas break, a fluke of circumstances had both E & S staying with me for a week. I had to work 2 days of that week, so I was always scared to come home. But it actually turned out fine. They got along great. We laughed a lot and had a really good time. So I have a sliver of hope about this, too. Granted, there's been a lot of water under the bridge since then...

S living with my mom... LOL! Yeah, that might last all of an hour. First, my mother has no patience for anything anymore. Plus, her bf, B, doesn't care for S and he doesn't like DS either for "putting S in that situation." I, OTOH, don't care for B. But that's a whole 'nother post. So, no, that's prolly not a good plan.

My friend @ work, JL, has been talking a lot lately about her "zen" attitude. So I'm trying to take that approach here: it is what it is. I will do my best and the kids will either clue in or not. They're [practically] adults now so I can't control their actions. I can only teach them the best that I know and hope that it sinks in.