Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Next stop: poor house

I hate paperwork. Back when I was able to fill out a 1040-EZ, it would take me at least a couple weeks because every time I'd start reading the instructions my eyes would glaze over. If I filled in one box per night it felt like a major accomplishment.

After the $800 bill for E's medications, I knew I had to look at the social security paperwork. E dropped it on the table the first day at my house and I've been procrastinating about it ever since.

The notice that his benefits will stop was dated April 2008. They obtained information from the following people to make their determination:
  • E's counselor
  • His med doctor
  • The school district
  • His primary care doctor
  • Some other PHD that did a "consultative exam"
Verbatim from the letter:

We were unable to obtain additional reports, however, we had enough information to determine this claim. We used information from others who know about your health. We have determined that your condition is not severe enough to keep you from working. We considered the medical and other information, your age, education, training, and work experience in determining how your condition affects your ability to work.

You said you are disabled because of a mood disorder, ADHD, learning disorder. However, your current symptoms are not severe enough to be considered disabling.
[Ed: then you should try dealing with him when he's OFF his meds!!!]

Although you said you have various limitations caused by your symptoms, the evidence does not show that your ability to perform basic work activities is as limited as you indicated. Although some kinds of work are not possible, your condition allows other less demanding work. This conclusion takes into consideration your age and education. If your condition gets worse and keeps you from working, write, call or visit any Social Security office about filing another application.

Therefore, I don't think Social Security is going to be an option. Maybe after he's been to this counselor a few more times she'd be willing to write a letter on his behalf.

Talked to someone at the counselor's office and he gave me a form direct from the drug company. Like the Montel Williams commercials: "If you can't afford your meds, call us. We can help." Well... they can help as long as you don't make too much money. And, it's only for one of his medications.

They also suggested checking out HealthWave, which is like Medicaid, just a fancier name. Their website says that all members of the household must be listed on the eligibility form. Crap. Crapcrapcrap.

Then, I found a link to a site for people that don't qualify for other insurance. First, there's the monthly premium ($1,500 deductible = $217.51; girls for the same age are $554.20!). Then, "prescriptions are subject to the calendar year deductible, then reimbursed at 50% until the out of pocket expense is met... " And in the margin, "... Coverage will be based on the cost of a generic drug, if available. If not available ... coverage will be based on the usual and customary charge of the prescription." [Ed: I did the italics, it was not on the actual form.] What the hell does that mean, "usual and customary"??? I'm pretty sure this "plan" is going to cost me way more in the long run.

Next option: Rx discount card. They had a price lookup on their site. So I picked one of his meds. The monthly supply is $433.35! And that, my friends, is how you get an $800 pharmacy bill. So much for "discount."

I thought about checking into the Canadian pharmacies, but really he needs insurance. Something that will cover him if he breaks/spraine's/cuts/crushes an extremity while working on the car, or whatever.

Today I thought: this is bullshit. So I called the HealthWave people.

I explained that I was calling for my nephew and the lady that answered the call... let's call her, "Marge", said, "How old is your nephew?"
Me18.
MargeIs this a specfic question or a general question?
MeUmmmmm
Marge Because if it's a specific question, then I'm going to have to have a signed waiver before I can answer it.
MeOh, then it's a general question. (Friggin' HIPPA)

Then I had to phrase every question hypothetically: Let's say that I have an 18 year old nephew who moved to KS from TX. And let's say... blahblahblah.

Marge said that I had to list my name & SSN on the form because I lived in the household, but that they wouldn't use my income in determining E's eligibility. If they're not using my income, how's come they need my SSN? Color me skeptical...


In other news, E is leaving this weekend to go visit his paternal family again. When I asked when he was coming back he was very sketchy, "Maybe a week. Maybe two."

Argh. Here we go again. I know, I know: he didn't last two weeks last time, why do I think he'll stay that long this time? Ummmmmmmm.. I dunno. Maybe because E puts his dad on such a pedestal.

He mentioned the other night that his dad had told him he would give him a job whenever. And E has now decided that he's going to take him up on that offer, "until I start school."

I told him, "Look, the only reason we waited on school was so that you could feel settled. If you go to KC and work with your dad, you're not going to be settled here." I think he's just anxious about finding a job, since I've mentioned it a few times lately. (I haven't pushed; just nudged.)

But his dad being a wolf in sheep's clothing doesn't help. Thinking about it makes me anxious. So much so that my body has picked up on the signals. This is so weird: when I get stressed out my eyelashes fall out. Usually it's just the lower lid... and usually just the left eye. But still.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

have him get hired and fired a couple of times. That helps with the disability. Did you check into adding him onto yours? The Army was pretty lenient with us so it's worth a shot. I mean you are providing for all of his care...and if he enrolled in school some have healthcare. Did you try blue cross? I know, add it to your list of things to do while you don't have anything else to do. You'll find the answer when you least expect it. It will be right in front of you and hopefully stray eyelashes won't be blinding you at the time