Sunday, July 13, 2008

Are those GOLD-PLATED pills?

Friday night when I got home, E was in rare form. He'd been without his meds for 3 days and was fluttering around like a bee. He had his truck torn apart in the garage and was just generally pissed off at the world. It's amazing he had that much energy because he'd also been throwing up for three days (withdrawal, I'm guessing), so he'd stopped eating.

We were going to go shopping on Saturday for bedroom furniture and take my car into the shop for an oil change and have them check the brakes, but I told him the #1 priority is getting his meds. First we went to the urgent care at the hospital nearby for the world's most expensive prescriptions. Then, a visit to Walmart and $800 later (that wasn't even all his meds -- just the ones he was out of), he's medicated again.

My mother called later in the day, just to chat. She asked what we were up to and I told her that I was so mad I could scream. Once I had the whole story out, she said, "Well, she's mad about stuff too." It took every ounce of control I had not to yell back, "What the F does [CR] have to be mad about?" I took a breath and realized it doesn't even matter. The fact remains that she didn't mail the meds and E was suffering because of it. And if I've done nothing else in my life, its been to allievate the kids' sufferring because of CR's actions/decisions/whatever.

The lady at Walmart almost appologized as she read the total. I knew it was going to be high, but I really hadn't expected it to be that high. I think I had a small seizure... and I have a tick in my eye that still won't go away.

I have to say that E was very cute. After we got the meds, he said, "Let's go to automotive because I can change the oil in your car. You don't have to pay Toyota to do it. I can check your brakes, too."

Due to my trauma at Walmart, I had to stop at DQ. (I didn't want to, I had to.) While in line, I get a call. The caller-id says it's E's grandma, K. So I just hand the phone to him. He talks to her for a couple of minutes and hands the phone to me, "She really wanted to talk to you," he says.

She had many questions about S's phone (that she'd busted after the Walmart parking lot fight). I really didn't have a lot of info, so I kept directing her back to S. Then, she just offered me money out of the blue! I have no idea what the look on my face was because my head was going, "$800 please!" She said she knew E's meds were expensive and that she appreciated what I was doing and just wanted to offer assistance.

The thing is, there's no such thing as free money. In the past, J has always been against E taking meds, so his whole family supported that by not giving E his meds when he was younger. And now she's offering to help pay for them? It just feels like there's a catch. So I thanked her politely and told her I'd let her know.

After we got home, E worked on my car the rest of the afternoon. After the oil change, one by one, he took off each tire and inspected the brakes (which I thought were fine from the start, but he thought they should be checked because of the mileage... and now we both know I was right). Then he took my car to the carwash and scrubbed all the bugs off. He rubbed out the scratch that I got from the mysterious flying ice. Now you really have to know that it's there to see it. I wish I could have talked him into cleaning the spot on my front seat... it's actually french silk pie blizzard from DQ, but when people have to ride in my car, nobody wants to touch it because it looks like poop. Oh well, I guess you can't have everything. (And George Carlin would add, "Where would you put it?")

I cooked him my infamous ugly chicken, so named because of the way it looks, and some mash potatoes. He had a pretty satisfied look on his face after dinner. Today, unfortunately, he has a headache because his body is trying to re-adjust to the meds. But he's over at my friend JL's house earning some money by doing yard work. (It helps him to keep busy and not think about the side effects.)

Top of the list this next week is getting his social security disability checks straightened out.

No comments: