Sunday, July 27, 2008

This just in...

On Friday, after reminding him all week, E was supposed to mow the lawn. (In case you're wondering, yes, we had a "talk" about this. I simply told him that if he wanted to be treated like an adult, then it was time to act like an adult. And making me constantly get on him to mow the lawn was not cutting it, pardon the pun. I guess we'll find out when he gets back if that tactic worked.)

Wait. I'm a little ahead of myself. Earlier in the week, I made E go with me to pay my car taxes because I was going to ask exactly what things had to be fixed on his truck so that it would pass inspection. Guess what? Nothing. Not a damn thing has to be fixed. The only thing that's "inspected" is the VIN#; they're just checking for stolen vehicles. So, on Thursday night I promised E we would get his vehicle taken care of when he got back from KC. There was a little tickle in the back of my brain that said he'd reached the end of his lucky rope by driving around un-registered.

So Friday afternoon, I tried to call him to remind him to mow. No answer. So I sent him a text message. Later in the afternoon the skies got all black at work, so I was going to call and see what the weather was doing at home. Still no answer. I told JL, my friend at work, that he was just being a brat and not answering the phone because he thought I was going to ask about mowing.

Finally I got a call. He got a ticket. I fricken knew it was coming. Of course he waited until late in the afternoon to deal with the mowing. Then, he realized he needed gas. So he ran to the gas station in town, and the cop stopped him about a block before he got home. Not only that, but he called for backup, so apparently it made quite a scene. It was $100 fine. Plus, the cop noted the crack in his windshield and said he'd cite him for that if he didn't get it fixed. JL remarked, "He's just not having the best luck with the popo is he?" You said it, sister!

It was a very upsetting experience for him. Not only was he humiliated, but E's perception was that the "backup" cop was itching to ... I wish I could remember E's exact words, but the gist was that he wanted to rough E up a bit. Who knows if its true or not. E was still pretty shaken up when I got home.

So we got some food, which I knew would take his mind off of things. Then I broke the cardinal rule and took him to see the movie that I had promised only if he'd mowed, "Step-brothers" with Will Ferrell. I know, I know. It was mostly to assuage my guilt over the matter.



Ok, on to the real news item of this post: as we were pulling into the parking lot of the theater, S calls. I answer, "Talk quick" She's crying, "Have you sent that paper for DS?"

So many thoughts to deal with: Why is she crying? Do I lie and say I have? Do I admit to procrastinating? In the absence of no other information to work with, I told the truth.

"Good. Don't send it! DS and I have been broke up for about a week. He was supposed to come over tonight and then he called and said he didn't have enough gas. And I just found out he went to visit Bob [I don't actually remember the friend's name, but Bob will do for now] and that's just a half mile from my house... [big sob]"

Not be be rudundent, but I fricken knew it! "Oh, sweetie. I'm so sorry. Are you ok?"

"No."

"Are you alone?"

"No. Sheila [again, I don't actually remember the friend's name, but Sheila will do for now] is here with me. I was going to come up to see Grandma & Grandpa this weekend, but they never have called me back."

E wanted to know what the call was about, so I gave him the reader's digest version. His response:

EI think you should still send the letter.
MeNo. She specifically asked me not to, so I won't. Just try to imagine if it were you and your ex-girlfriend.
EI did, and I still think you should send the letter.
MeWhy?
EBecause I've regretted decisions I made like that.
MeWell, I can't teach her those lessons. She can only learn by the consequences of her actions... just like you did.

I think he still mumbled under his breath, "well you still should send the letter." Ok now people, is that just precious or what? Him being all protective of his little sis... Say it with me now, "Awwwwwwwww."

I had heard about this impromptu trip earlier. E told me that she called her grandma, K, and pretty much demanded that they come pick her up for a visit. But she also wanted them to bring her back to TX by Friday. Not knowing that she and DS were broken up, I had surmised that she wanted to be back in time to see him. Now I don't have a clue what the Friday deadline was all about.

E also told me that she didn't want to see her dad while she was in KS because she, "didn't want to hear about it." E was like, "Oh, she's gonna hear about it, wherever she stays." I wonder if she knew E was going to be there this week...

E was also miffed that she didn't want to see me while she was in KS. Again, awwwwww! I told him it was fine and that I wouldn't stand in the way of her seeing her grandparents just like I wouldn't do that to him... besides I would be seeing her plenty when she came here to live.



I am on MD duty this week. E said before he left, "Can I trust you to feed MD while I'm gone?" Well, let's see... you trust me to pay your phone bill, your car insurance, put food on the table, buy your bedroom furniture... yeah, I think I can handle that.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would write the letter and be prepared just in case. Would his PO even talk to you about the kind of things you could write in a letter that could help him or if it is enough that you are bringing him to a new playground, with new playmates, and hope that he'll learn to play new games ( I got that from the first time DWK went to treatment at St Johns all those many years ago. I was there ya know. LOL ) I figured out last night what you need to do. When you are up at night losing sleep watch soap operas where only the most ridiculous things happen and see what they do. Keep notes so when it happens to you you'll know exactly what to do. This should save tons of money for your shrink so you can afford E's.... and don't forget that the grandparents did offer some funds... $100 fine, a windshield, and some tags has got to be less than $800. I can't tell you how many people tell me that I will be so blessed for doing this for my nephews ONE DAY... ONE DAY... we'll finally get our reward!.. I'm so scared of that day I don't think I could handle it...LOL

Anonymous said...

This is totally random but I have to ask you. Ever since JJ's funeral I've been thinking a lot about the "good ol days". I totally have been obsessed with ice cream and had an unmanageable urge to buy an electric homemade ice cream machine, I don't do salt and ice when I can do a plug. Anyway, I was thinking back, fond memories, 4th of July, homemade ice cream. I know no one at my house ever made it.. and I think it was always you! I keep having the pic of you sitting in your garage, cranking away at it until we had the best ice cream ever. Let me know if you recall that or if I am absolutely, completely, lost it and fallen off my rocker, into a hole!